Mercy Home Health: Palliative Care
Mercy Home Health offers palliative care services to patients in the hospital at Mercy Regional Medical Center, or wherever the patient calls home, which could be in their own residence, a nursing home or other residence. We are proud to be the only provider of palliative care in La Plata, Archuleta and parts of Montezuma counties.
The goal of palliative care is to relieve the pain, anxiety, symptoms and stress that come with any major health changes or a serious illness such as congestive heart failure (CHF), chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), kidney failure, Alzheimer's, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) and other serious conditions. Palliative care works to address patient's physical, psychological, social and spiritual needs. Complementing the patient's current plan of care, palliative care can be started at any point in their illness.
Palliative care is different from hospice care in that patients can still receive curative treatment for their illness while receiving palliative care. Hospice care is more appropriate for those who have been diagnosed with a terminal illness and are forgoing curative treatments for comfort care including medical and supportive services.
The Mercy Health at Home Palliative Care Team includes:
- Advanced Practice Nurse/Registered Nurse
- Case Manager/Social Worker
- Referring Physician
- Non-denominational Chaplain
- Medical Director
- Other healthcare providers as needed
The Palliative Care Team can help:
- Talk with patients about their goals and wishes for their care
- Help patients consider different care options and make decisions about quality of life
- Manage side effects associated with a current treatment
- Collaborate with primary care doctor to relieve difficult symptoms associated with illness
- Provide spiritual and emotional support
- Enhance patient and family support
- Assist with preparing for an upcoming hospitalization or help make arrangements following a hospital stay
- Provide grief counseling and bereavement support
If a patient is interested in palliative care, talk to their physician and request a palliative care consult with Mercy Home Health. To request a consult, please call Dan Keuning at 970.382.2000. After the consult, a written order is needed by the physician.
If you have any questions about palliative care, please call Mercy Home Health at 970.382.2000.
Watch a short video below by Dan Keuning, Advanced Practice Nurse for palliative care. If you have problems viewing the video, click here to link directly to YouTube.